Lentils jazz up any dish for me and this rice is no exception. Plain broccoli sounded boring, but lentils got me all excited to try out rice with broccoli. If you are not a broccoli fan, use any vegetable of choice. The rice is easy to put together and everyone in the family loved it. Off to the recipe.
Rice with broccoli and lentils.
- basmati rice - 1 1/2 cups
- oil - 1 tbsp
- cloves - 2
- cinnamon - small piece
- onion - 1 cup - chopped
- ginger-garlic paste - 2 tsp
- green chilly - 3
- tomatoes - 1/2 cup - chopped
- channa dal - 1/4 - soaked in water for 30 minutes
- broccoli - 1 1/2 - 2 cups - chopped
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - to taste
- turmeric - a pinch
Cook rice and allow to cool.
Heat oil and add cloves, cinnamon, onion, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. When onions are cooked add the tomatoes and channa dal. Cook until the channa dal is soft.
Add the broccoli, salt, chilly powder and turmeric. When the broccoli is cooked, turn off the stove.
Add to the rice and mix gently. Serve with raita or papad.
Cook the channa dal separately and add if needed.
1 year ago: Plantain Pepper Fry
2 years ago: Stuffed Buns
3 years ago: Spinach Pesto
1. Cook rice and keep aside to cool (I use 1:2 ratio for rice:water)2. Heat oil and add cloves, cinnamon, onion, ginger garlic paste and green chilly.3. Onions are cooked.4. Add tomatoes and channa dal. Allow the channa dal to soften.5. Add broccoli, salt, chilly powder and turmeric.6. Mix well; when broccoli is cooked, turn off the stove.7. Add to the rice and mix gently.8. Serve with raita or papad.
Healthy and tasty rice ready.