With a ton of things going on, it is becoming increasingly hard to find time to post. A ton of recipes are sitting in my drafts and I am not surprised that this biriyani has been in my drafts for almost a year. Coming to the recipe, biriyani is usually a layered rice dish and is loaded with flavor from herbs and spices.
The vegetable-spice-herb mixture forms a layer and the rice another layer, but for this recipe there is no layering and is cooked in a vessel or pressure pan. Do not be intimidated by the ingredients or steps since most are easily found in your pantry/fridge. The end product is totally worth the effort and it was loved by all in the family. A layered biriyani recipe has been posted here. Off to the recipe.
Flavorful rice with vegetables, spices and more.
- For Masala
- oil - 1 tsp
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- green chilly - 6 - 10 (adjust based on taste)
- cashews - 8
- cinnamon - 1 inch
- cloves - 2
- ginger - 1 inch piece
- cilantro - 1/4 cup - packed
- For Rice
- oil - 3 1/2 tbsp
- onion - 1.5 cups - sliced vertically
- garlic - 12 cloves
- ginger-garlic paste - 2 tsp
- potatoes - 3/4 cup - diced
- carrots - 1/2 cup - diced
- peas - 1/2 cup
- beans - 1 cup - cut into 1 inch pieces
- yogurt - 1.5 cups
Homemade yogurt can be made following this link
- salt - to taste
- water - 2.5 cups
- basmati rice - 2 cups
Heat oil and saute onion, green chilly and cashews. Allow to cool and blend with remaining masala ingredients.
In the same vessel used to saute onions, fry the rice. Remove and keep aside.
Heat oil and add onions and garlic. When cooked add ginger-garlic paste and vegetables. Saute for 5 minutes and add the masala paste. Saute for 5 minutes. Next add water, salt, yogurt and rice.
Cover and cook until rice is cooked. Fluff it up and serve with raita or chips.
I used a pressure pan (no pressure valve) to make this rice.
1 year ago: Oats Upma
2 years ago: Black Bean Burger
1. Masala : Fry onion, green chilly and cashews in a tsp of oil. Allow to cool.2. Take in a blender along with other masala ingredients.3. Blend well.4. Fry the basmati rice for a few minutes in the same vessel used to saute the onions.5. Heat oil and add onions and garlic.6. Onions are cooked.7. Add ginger-garlic paste, potatoes, carrots, peas and beans. Saute for about 5 minutes.8. Add the paste. Saute for about 5 minutes.9. Add yogurt, salt and water.10. Add the rice.11. Cover and cook until the rice is done. Fluff and serve with raita of choice or chips.
Tasty rice ready.