This is my easy and go-to recipe for a simple side dish that goes well with a ton of items like idli, dosai, chapati and so on. For those of you who do not make the Indian dishes mentioned, I am sure you could spread this gravy on burritos for a spicy twist. Any time my mom asks me about side dish for chapati, my answer would always be this gravy. The right amount of tanginess and the hint of garlic are the plus points of this quick gravy. Off to the recipe.
Onion Tomato Gravy (Curry)
Simple gravy with onions, tomatoes and garlic.
- oil - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp (kadugu)
- urad dal - 1 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- garlic - 2 cloves - chopped
- tomatoes - 1 1/4 cup - chopped
- salt - to taste
- sambar powder - 1/2 - 1 tsp
- turmeric - a pinch
- curry leaves - a few
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds; add urad dal.
When the dal turns golden brown add onion and garlic; once the onion and garlic is cooked add the tomatoes, turmeric, salt, sambar powder and about 1/2 cup water.
When the tomatoes get mushy and the gravy thickens a bit, turn off the stove. Garnish with curry leaves. Serve with idlis, dosai, roti and so on.
2 years ago: Potato Fry with Curry Leaves
1. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds; add urad dal.2. When the dal turns golden brown add the onions and garlic.3. Onions are cooked.4. Add tomatoes, salt, sambar powder and turmeric.5. Add about 1/2 cup of water and simmer until the tomatoes become mushy and the gravy thickens.6. Garnish with curry leaves and serve with idli, dosa, roti and so on.
Tangy side dish ready.
Sending to DIO – Tomatos & Garlic hosted by Nalini.
6 Responses to Onion Tomato Gravy (Curry)
yummy and delicious curry….
Mouthwatering. Looks so tasty.
Thanks for sharing.
My Mum used to make this sans the urad dal and sambhar masala and the addition of these sounds really good. I will add these when I make this next time. Thanks for sharing.
u believe it or not every other day i prepare this for my husband. his favorite… simple veggies wth simple spices thats make the taste.