This is one of the simplest rice dishes we prepare when we are crunched for time. With the tomatoes overflowing in the garden and in stores this is an apt time to try this simple dish. This year tomatoes seem to be doing well in our garden and I have already made salsa and pickle with a ton of them. Next on my list is this rich makhni gravy that can be frozen. If you are not a rice person, I still have good news for you. This tomato mixture doubles up as a tasty side dish for rotis or paratha. Off to the recipe.
Easy tomato rice.
- basmati rice - 1.5 cups - uncooked
- oil - 1 tbsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp (kadugu)
- urad dal - 1 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- onion - 1 cup - chopped
- green chilly - 4 - slit lengthwise
- garlic - 5 cloves - minced
- curry leaves - few
- tomatoes - 2 cups - chopped
- turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- salt - to taste
- sambar powder - 1/2 - 1 tsp (refer to notes)
- cilantro - to garnish
Cook rice in the ratio 1:2 for rice:water. Allow to cool.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and when the dal turnes golden brown, add onion, chilly, garlic and curry leaves.
When onion is cooked add the tomatoes, turmeric, salt and sambar powder. When the tomatoes turn mushy add the cilantro. Add this mixture to the cooked rice and mix gently. Serve with raita or chips.
1. Use chilly powder in smaller quantity instead of sambar powder.
1 year ago: Broccoli Cheese Soup
2 years ago: Spinach Garlic Rice
1. Cook rice in the ration of 1:2 (rice:water) and allow to cool.2. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal.3. Saute until the dal turns golden brown.4. Add onion, chilly and garlic.5. Add curry leaves.6. Saute until the onions are cooked.7. Add tomatoes, turmeric, salt and sambar powder.8. Mix well.9. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.10. Add cilantro.11. Add the tomato mixture to the rice.12. Mix gently to combine. Serve with raita or chips.
Tasty rice ready.
3 Responses to Tomato Rice
My all time favorite
Healthy quick lunchbox item
this is how i generally do When i am inurge ! do not like of adding other masala’s sambhar podi itself gives a tasty rice ! Lovely clicks !