This dish has been on my list forever and is a famous street food in India. You could use frozen parottas to simplify the process greatly. For Kothu Parotta, you chop the parottas into small pieces and add them to a mixture of vegetables and spices. Normally meat or egg is added, but I have used only vegetables. It takes the tasty parottas to a whole new level. Leftover parottas can be used, but I made paratha just for this dish. Off to the recipe.
Chopped Indian flatbread sauteed with cooked vegetables.
- oil - 1 tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp (jeeragam)
- onion - 1 cup - sliced
- jalapeno - 2 - slit vertically
- ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- tomatoes - 1/2 cup - chopped
- carrots - 3/4 cup - cut into thin strips
- bell pepper - 3/4 cup - cut into thin strips
- peas - 1/2 cup
- turmeric - a pinch
- chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- coriander powder - 1 tsp
- salt - to taste
- parotta - 3 - 4 (cut into small pieces)
Homemade parotta can be made following this link
Chop the parottas and keep aside.
Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Next add onion, ginger-garlic paste and jalapenos. When onion is cooked add the remaining vegetables and spice powders.
When the vegetables are cooked add the chopped parotta. Mix and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the stove and serve warm.
1. Refer to this link for making parottas.
1 year ago: Healthy Zucchini Cheese Patties
2 years ago: 15 Bean Sundal
1. Roughly chop the parottas and keep aside.2. Heat oil and add cumin seeds.3. Add onion, ginger-garlic paste and jalapenos.4. Saute until onions are cooked.5. Add tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers, peas, turmeric, chilly powder, coriander powder and salt. Cover and cook. Sprinkle some water if needed.6. Vegetables are cooked.7. Add the chopped parotta. Mix.8. Simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the stove. Serve warm.
Flaky kothu paratha ready.