Kuzhambu is a tangy gravy that is normally mixed with rice. It can also be used as a dip for idli, dosai and so on. There are tons of variations based on the spices and the vegetables used. This kuzhambu is made with “manathakkali (Dry Nightshade berries) vatral”. ‘Vatral’ is something that has been sun-dried. The green berries from the plant are pickled and sun-dried and the leaves are normally prepared with dal similar to spinach. When we used to have mouth ulcers, the first remedy suggested by elders was to feed us these greens.
The tangy and spicy kuzhambu is normally accompanied by dal in my house. You can prepare a simpler version of this kuzhambu by adding sambar powder or chilly powder instead of the ground masala, but the masala definitely adds a ton of flavor. Off to the recipe.
Tangy gravy with freshly ground spices.
- For Masala
- urad dal - 2 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- asafoetida - a bit
- red chillies - 4
- peppercorns - 1 tsp
- For Kuzhambu
- oil - 1 tbsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp (kadugu)
- fenugreek seeds -
- channa dal - 1 tsp (kadala paruppu)
- red chillies - 2
- curry leaves - few
- vatral - 3 tsp
- tamarind - lime size (about 1.5 cups juice extracted)
- salt - to taste
Dry roast the masala ingredients until the dal turns golden brown. Allow to cool and blend well using some water.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add fenugreek, channa dal, red chillies, curry leaves, vatral and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the tamarind juice, salt and the prepared paste and bring to a boil.
Simmer for about 15 minutes and turn off the stove. Serve with rice, idli, dosai, etc.
2 years ago: Pav Bhaji (Indian Sloppy Joes)
1. Take the ingredients for masala in a pan.2. Dry roast until the dal turns golden brown. Allow to cool.3. Take in a coffee grinder or blender.4. Blend to a paste using little water. Keep aside.5. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add fenugreek, channa dal, red chillies, curry leaves and vatral.6. Saute for a couple of minutes.7. Add the tamarind juice and salt.8. Add the prepared paste.9. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.10. Turn off the stove and serve with rice, idli, dosai and so on.
Tangy kuzhambu ready.
Linking to Vegan Thursdays.