Poriyal is often a side dish on the dry side. The two vegetables that made me frown when I was a kid were beetroot and carrot. When it was carrot or beetroot poriyal, I used to eat it as if I was doing a favor to my mom. Added to it, I did not like coconut either and my mom had to keep some poriyal separate for me before adding coconut.
Well, sadly those are among the 10 kinds of vegetables I get in my place now and the tables have changed. The consolation is that they are very healthy . It is my turn now to take the frown from my kids, but I manage to escape at times by adding it to kid friendly stuff like beetroot poori. Apart from that, the usual things I make with beetroot are, this poriyal and kootu. Off to the recipe.
Healthy side dish with beets.
- oil - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp (kadugu)
- urad dal - 1/2 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- channa dal - 1/2 tsp (kadala paruppu)
- red chillies - 2 or 3
- beetroot - 3 cups - diced
- salt - to taste
- coconut - 1.5 tbsp
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, channa dal, red chillies and saute until the dals turn golden brown.
Add the beetroot and salt. Sprinkle some water and cover the vessel. Allow to cook on a medium flame. When the beetroot is cooked, sprinkle coconut and turn the stove off. Serve with rice.
1. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, channa dal and red c hillies.2. Saute until the dals turn golden brown.3. Add the diced beetroot.4. Add salt, sprinkle some water and cover the vessel. Allow to cook on a medium flame.5. Beetroot is cooked. It took around 10 minutes for me.6. Sprinkle coconut and turn the stove off.7. Mix and serve with rice.
Healthy poriyal ready.