If you are a fan of soya chunks, then do add this to your list of recipes to try. My mom makes this dish using potatoes and I chose to use soya chunks instead. It is very easy to put together and perfect for those lazy days. Be careful with the fennel seeds as too much will not make the dish taste good.
The first time I made it, I went through the pain of breaking each soya chunk into pieces manually and it was very time-consuming. The next time I just went with soya granules and during my recent trip to India I mentioned the addition of soya chunks to my mom. She made the same using the soya chunks as is and that tasted good too. So, the choice is yours. I normally just mix this dish with rice and eat, but you can also use it as a side dish to rotis. Off to the recipe.
Tasty cabbage curry with soya chunks and ginger.
- soya chunks - 1 cup
- fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp (sombu)
- oil - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp (kadugu)
- cabbage - 5 cups - chopped
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 1/2 cup - chopped
- sambar powder - 1 - 2 tsp
- salt - to taste
- turmeric - pinch
- ginger paste - 1 tsp
Boil water and add salt to it. Add the soya chunks to the water and let it remain for a few minutes. Then drain the water and chop the soya chunks coarsely.
Dry roast fennel seeds and powder the seeds.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add cabbage, onion, tomatoes, chopped soya chunks, sambar powder, salt, turmeric, fennel powder, ginger paste and a cup of water. Mix well. Cover and cook until the vegetables are done.
1. You can add chilly powder instead of sambar powder. Adjust amount to taste.
2. Soya granules or whole soya chunks can also be used.
1 year ago: Festive Biriyani
1. Boil water and add salt to it. Add soya chunks and let it remain for a few minutes.2. Drain the water.3. Coarsely chop the soya chunks. Keep aside.4. Take fennel seeds in a pan and dry roast.5. Dry roasted seeds.6. Powder the seeds. I used a mortar and pestle.7. Powdered fennel seeds.8. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds.9. Add cabbage, onion and tomatoes.10. Add the chopped soya chunks.11. Add salt, chilly powder, fennel powder and turmeric.12. Add ginger paste.13. Mix it all together and add a cup of water. Cover and cook until the vegetables are cooked.14. Cooked curry ready to be served.
Easy and tasty curry ready.
Linking to New U – 2013.