I am all for rice since it is easy for me to make rice rather than rolling out chapatis. This is a second version of the spinach rice. You can find the first version here. So, one fine day when I was completely out of ideas on what to make for the blog – yes, it does happen at times , I was looking through the rice delights book and this recipe caught my attention immediately because it had spinach. I modified it to my taste and voila we had a yummy and healthy rice that is going to be a keeper.
I made this for the blog months back and have since made it multiple times and it is always a hit even with my kids. The ground masala adds a lot of flavor to the rice and the cashews add a mild richness. Recipe adapted from the book “Rice delights – Mallika Badrinath”. Off to the recipe.
Spinach Masala Rice
Flavorful and healthy rice with spinach, garbanzo and spices.
- spinach - 4 cups - packed fresh spinach
- red chillies - 3
- coriander seeds - 2 tsp (dhaniya)
- cashews - 5
- oil - 2 tsp
- cloves - 2
- cinnamon - a small piece
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- green chilly - 2
- tomatoes - 1 cup - chopped
- garbanzo - 1/2 cup - cooked
- salt - to taste
- basmati rice - 1.5 cups - uncooked
Cook rice and allow to cool. This helps the grains to remain separate when mixed.
Cook spinach and dry roast coriander seeds and red chillies. Allow to cool. Take the coriander seeds, red chillies and cashews in a blender and grind well. Then add the cooked spinach and blend. Keep aside.
Heat oil and add cloves and cinnamon. Add onions and green chillies and cook until the onions are cooked. Add tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes turn mushy. Next add garbanzo, prepared paste and salt. Mix and simmer for 10 minutes.
Then add the cooked and cooled rice and mix well. Turn off the stove.
1. Cook rice and keep aside to cool. Add spinach to boiling water and cook for a few minutes until it wilts.2. Wilted spinach. Allow to cool.3. Dry roast the coriander seeds and red chillies. Allow to cool.4. Take the coriander seeds, red chillies and cashews in a blender.5. Powder well.6. Add the cooked spinach.7. Make a puree. Keep aside.8. Heat oil and add cloves and cinnamon.9. Add onions and green chillies.10. Saute until the onion is cooked.11. Add tomatoes.12. Saute until the tomatoes turn mushy.13. Add the cooked garbanzo.14. Add the paste.15. Add salt and mix well.16. Saute for about 10 minutes.17. Add the cooked rice.18. Mix well.
Tasty rice ready. Serve with raita or chips.Enjoy!
Linking to New U – 2013.
11 Responses to Spinach Masala Rice
I am just learning cooking your blog is very helpful , very easy explanation that too with pictures very interesting. !!!
Healthy rice, looks very appealing too!
Very Healthy & Looks Inviting !!!
Very Healthy & Looks Inviting
Vibrant colored healthy rice…
Rice looks so delicious and flavorful. Addition of garbanzo beans makes it more interesting. A very healthy recipe.. Will try it some time.
My kids love spinach rice with more cashew n peanuts, this masala spinach rice sounds more flavorful and yummy…will try it next time!
Nice vibrant green color.
Thanks we get beautiful spinach now so this is bookmarked.
Healthy and rich pulav…..
“Healthy Recipe Substitution” – HRS Event and SURPRISE Giveaway – Dec 20th to Mar 20th
SYF&HWS – Cook With SPICES” Series
South Indian Cooking – July 15th to Sep 15th
Very nice recipe. Looks so easy and very nutritious. Thanks