It all started because my 4 year old wanted to make cookies with me. She loves to help in the kitchen and as much as I like to do things with her, the cleanup after that puts me off at times. On top of regular cleaning there is additional mess on the countertop, kitchen floors and of course on her clothes. Needless to say, I allow her to help only sparingly when I am in the mood for extra cleanup .
My daughter had fun cutting the cookies and pricking them with the fork. She also offered to roll the dough and I politely refused. The crackers had this slight sweetness from honey and tasted great. I have been trying to use oats in various recipes and this one is a keeper. Recipe slightly adapted from the book “Rodale’s Naturally Delicious Desserts and Snacks”.
Tasty cookies with oats, wheat flour, honey and more.
- whole wheat flour - 1.5 cups
- oats - 1/3 cup - old fashioned oats
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- baking soda - a pinch
- butter - 3 tbsp
- honey - 1 tbsp - warmed
- buttermilk - 3/4 cup
Make a stiff dough with wheat flour, oats, salt, baking soda, butter, honey and buttermilk. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
Roll the dough into a circle that is 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. Cut into small cookies using a 1.5 inch biscuit cutter and prick the cookies using a fork.
Place crackers in a greased baking sheet and bake in a 325F preheated oven for 20 - 22 minutes. Allow to cool and enjoy the crackers.
1. Buttermilk Substitute - 1 tbsp vinegar + almost 1 cup milk (vinegar + milk combined should be 1 cup)
2. Any cookie cutter can be used to cut the cookies.
3. The thinner the dough is rolled, the crispier.
1 year ago: Paneer Tawa Masala
1. Take wheat flour and oats in a bowl.2. Add salt.3. Add baking soda.4. Add butter.5. Add honey.6. Add buttermilk.7. Make a stiff dough. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.8. Roll the dough into a circle 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.9. Cut into small cookies using a 1.5 inch biscuit cutter. Prick the crackers using a fork to prevent them from puffing up.10. Place the crackers in a greased baking sheet and bake in a preheated 325F oven for around 20 - 22 minutes.11. The crackers have a nice golden brown bottom when done. Allow to cool and enjoy.
Yummy crackers ready.
Linking to Bake Fest #14.