With temperatures below zero it seems to be the perfect time for soup. Of course I need no reason to make soup and this was sitting in my drafts for more than 6 months. I know I need to be more organized, but then I get carried away by something new that is cooked and these old posts keep waiting forever.
You can add any legume to the soup and it helps if you have canned beans or cooked beans in freezer. That way you can make these soups in a jiffy. I normally use water for soups, but feel free to use stock if you have. This is a filling soup with beans and vegetables and is perfect for those busy weekdays. There is a mild tanginess from the tomatoes and the black eyed peas are creamy making this a tasty soup. Off to the recipe.
Tasty soup with black eyed peas.
- olive oil - 2 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp (jeeragam)
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- garlic - 4 cloves - minced
- carrots - 1/2 cup - diced
- bell pepper - 1 cup - chopped
- potatoes - 1/2 cup - diced
- black eyed peas - 11/2 cups - cooked peas (use canned if needed)
- tomatoes - 3/4 cup - puree (I used canned crushed tomatoes)
- chilly powder - 3/4 tsp (adjust to taste)
- cumin powder - 1.5 tsp
- salt - to taste
- water - 2 cups
- cilantro - to garnish
Heat olive oil and add cumin seeds; next add onion and garlic. When onion is cooked add the remaining ingredients except cilantro.
Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes for the flavors to mingle and garnish with cilantro. Serve warm.
I normally cook black eyed peas and keep in freezer. You can also use canned black eyed peas.
1 year ago: Mushroom Rajma Soup
2 years ago: Idiyappam (Rice Noodles)
1. Heat olive oil and add cumin seeds; next add onion and garlic.2. Onions are cooked.3. Add carrots, bell pepper, potatoes and cooked black eyed peas.4. Ad tomato puree, chilly powder, cumin powder, salt and water.5. Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes for the flavors to mingle.6. Garnish with cilantro and serve warm.
Tasty soup ready.
Linking to “New U – 2014“.
Linking to DIO – Light Dinners hosted by Preetha.