Kesari is an Indian dessert made with rava also known as sooji. It is one of the simplest desserts to make compared to the laborious Indian desserts. Surprisingly I have not blogged about it until now. So when we bought a pineapple a week ago, I immediately decided that I was going to make kesari with it. Of course I dragged it on and on until I realized that I had to use up the pineapple today or someone will eat it. . Amidst trick or treating, parades and a carnival I managed to squeeze in this dessert. Remember I told you it was very simple. Try not to skimp on the ghee as mentioned in notes. The pineapple was not overly sweet and it added a nice texture and flavor to the kesari. The dessert hardens on cooling, but just warm it up in the microwave or stove top before serving. It tasted great even without warming up and ghee certainly does a lot of magic. Off to the recipe.
Dessert with sooji and pineapples.
- ghee - 2 - 3 tbsp
Homemade ghee can be made following this link
- cashews - few
- raisins - few
- pineapple - 1/2 cup (puree)
- rava - 1/2 cup
- water - 1 1/2 cups
- sugar - 1/2 - 3/4 cup
- food coloring - few drops (optional - I used yellow food coloring)
In 2 tsp of ghee, roast the cashews and raisins. Remove and keep aside. In the same vessel roast the rava until it is slightly brown. Remove and keep aside.
Next bring water and pineapple puree to a boil. Add the rava stirring continuously. When the rava is cooked add the sugar and remaining ghee. Add food coloring if using.
Stir until the mixture leaves the sides of the vessel. Remove from heat and garnish with cashews and raisins.
1. Adjust the quantity of sugar to taste. If the pineapple is sweet, you may need less sugar.
2. Adjust the quantity of ghee based on preference. If you use too little ghee, the kesari will be dry and more like a sweet upma.
1 year ago: Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 years ago: Eggless Wheat Cake with Jaggery
1. In 2 tsp of ghee fry the cashews and raisins until the cashews are golden brown. Remove and keep aside.2. In the same pan fry the rava to a slight brown color. Remove and keep aside.3. Bring water and pineapple puree to a boil.4. Add the rava stirring continuously.5. Rava is cooked. It takes just a couple of minutes for this quantity.6. Add the sugar and remaining ghee.7. Add food coloring. Keep stirring until the mixture leaves the sides.8. Add the cashew and raisins.9. Mix well and serve.
Yummy kesari ready.