Raita is a yogurt based condiment and is pretty versatile. It also goes by the name “pachadi” in South India. I had tried this a couple of years ago and did not saute it enough and ended up with a slimy raita. With hesitation I tried it again from the okra from my garden and sauteed it until it was nice and crispy. That helped it to not become slimy and it tasted great with rice. Check out other raita/salad here.Do finish off this raita soon since the leftover did turn slimy after a while. Off to the recipe.
Yogurt based condiment with okra.
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp (kadugu)
- urad dal - 1 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- red chillies - 2
- okra - 1.5 cups - sliced thinly
- yogurt - 3/4 cup
Homemade yogurt can be made following this link
- salt - to taste
- cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and red chillies. When the dal turns golden brown add the sliced okra.
Saute until the okra is cooked and slightly crispy. Allow to cook and add to yogurt along with salt and cumin powder.
1. Serve immediately since the raita starts becoming slimy after a while.
1 year ago: Garlic Murukku
2 years ago: Tomato Pickle
1. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and red chillies.2. When the dal turns golden brown add the sliced okra.3. Saute until the okra is cooked and slightly crispy. Allow to cool.4. Add the okra to yogurt along with salt and cumin powder.5. Mix gently and serve. Do not keep this raita for long as it will become slimy.
Tasty okra ready. We had it with rice.