I glanced upon this recipe while looking for mushroom recipes. The combination looked different and the curry was easy to make. It uses just chilly powder and no fancy masala. The original recipe suggested to grind the masala ingredients as is without sauteing, but since raw onion has always tasted bitter when blended, I sauteed it slightly before blending.
This is supposed to be a dry curry that can be used as a sandwich or pizza topping. You can also use it as a stuffing for dosa. If you like it to be on the wet side, add a little water while blending and turn off the stove when you get the desired consistency. You can taste the tanginess of the tomatoes and the hint of ginger and garlic. We had the curry with rotis. Off to the recipe. Recipe adapted from Mallika Badrinath Vegetarian Curries book.
Tasty curry with cauliflower and mushrooms.
- For Masala
- oil - 1 tsp
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 1 1/4 cup - chopped
- ginger - a small piece
- garlic - 5 cloves
- chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - to taste
- sugar - 1/2 tsp
- For Curry
- oil - 2 tsp
- onion - 3/4 cup - sliced
- mushrooms - 2.5 cups - sliced
- cauliflower - 1.5 cups - roughly (cut into florets)
- spring onion - to garnish
Heat oil and saute onions, tomatoes, ginger and garlic for 5 minutes. Allow to cool and blend with salt, sugar and chilly powder.
Heat oil and saute onions until they are cooked. Next add the mushrooms and cauliflower and saute for 10 minutes. Add the masala and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes until the curry reaches the desired consistency. Serve with rotis.
1. Add more or less water to the curry depending on how thick you want it to be.
1 year ago: Buttermilk Biscuits
2 years ago: Palak Paneer
1. For masala : Heat oil and saute onions, tomatoes, ginger and garlic for about 5 minutes.2. Allow to cool.3. Take in a blender and add salt, sugar and chilly powder.4. Blend to a paste. Keep aside.5. Heat 2 tsp of oil and add sliced onions.6. Saute until onions are cooked.7. Add the mushrooms and cauliflower and saute for 10 minutes.8. Add the masala.9. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes until the curry is to the desired thickness. Garnish with spring onions. Serve wit rotis.
Tasty curry ready.