This could come as a surprise to a few, but I had no idea what nutella was until recently. The 4 year old loves chocolate and that is how nutella made its way to the kitchen. She puts it on crackers, bread and today it was burrito and whether she finishes it or not, is a different topic. K tried to sneak in tofu and squash in her nutella spread burrito and I knew that it was not going to work. Gosh .. she is such a picky eater. This kid opens the burrito and throws such a big fit about how it has stuff she does not like and eats just the edges of the burrito .
I saw this recipe in the Costco Connection magazine and knew the kids would love it and of course they did. I have made it a few times since then and each time it was a super hit even among the adults. More the butter, more the flakiness and you can also adjust the nutella to the amount you need. Off to the recipe.
Yeast bread with nutella stuffing.
- all purpose flour - 1 cup
- yeast - 3/4 tsp - instant yeast - refer to notes
- sugar - 1/2 tsp
- salt - a pinch
- butter - 2 tbsp
- nutella - 1/2 cup
- water - 1/4 cup - luke warm water
Take flour, instant yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl. Mix. Add melted butter and mix. Refer to notes if using active dry yeast.
Using luke warm water form a dough. Knead the dough for around 8 minutes. Keep in a warm place for the dough to double in volume. It took an hour to double.
Next, punch the dough and place on a floured surface. Roll into a
8 x 12 rectangle.
Spread nutella over it leaving an inch gap on the sides. Roll into a tight log.
Bring the edges of the log together and brush the top with water. Sprinkle some sugar over it. Make slits on it and separate slightly keeping them intact.
Bake in a 375F preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes until the tops are slightly browned.
- If using active dry yeast, proof it first with some warm water and sugar and then add to flour. You can add the same amount of yeast as mentioned. For proofing : Mix active dry yeast, little luke warm water(about 1 oz.) and sugar. When it gets frothy, add to the flour. Skip adding sugar to the flour since we have already added it for proofing.
- You may need more or less water to form the dough.
- Adjust the amount of nutella to the amount of sweetness desired.