The pre-washed packets of spinach was on sale at our local grocery store and it has been the week of spinach at home. This is one of those recipes which is simple using minimal ingredients yet very heart warming that it goes into the comfort food category. This is the dish to try when you do not want to mess around with masalas and tons of ingredients. This dish is very mild since we use only few red chillies and is perfect for kids. Simple kid friendly with nutritious spinach and dal. What more can we ask for in a recipe right?
9oz bag pre-washed spinach or a bunch of spinach cleaned
3/4 cup Toor dal
4 Red chillies
Vadagam for seasoning (Can use mustard seeds instead)
Vadagam is basically a mix of onions, mustard, urad dal, garlic etc which is prepared during the summer months and dried. It is used to season keerai(greens) and kuzhambu varieties.
1. Pressure cook the toor dal with some turmeric.
2. Boil the spinach until it wilts down. Allow to cool.
3. Blend the spinach to a puree using a big blender or a hand blender.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Season with vadagam or with mustard seeds and chillies.
5. Add the spinach puree and the cooked dal. Mix together. Add salt.
6. Comforting spinach dal is ready to be served with love. That was simple right.
The first pic was updated on 4/15/2013.
1. Using pre-washed spinach simplifies this dish a lot.