I had been wanting to make burger buns at home for a while and this recipe caught my eye. The recent addition to my kitchen is a 10 pound bag of organic whole wheat and I have been replacing some of the bread flour in a ton of recipes with whole wheat flour. I love the color whole wheat flour imparts to the baked goods and the kids do not know the difference.A few years ago I had no idea that a word called ‘crumb’ existed in the bread world . These days I seem to be admiring the crumb even before tasting the bread. These burger buns are very easy to make and I served them with some Indian potato patties coming up soon on the blog. Off to the recipe. Recipe from here.
- For Dough
- water - 1 - 11/2 cups
- butter - 2 tbsp - softened
- sugar - 11/2 tbsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- yeast - 2 tsp (instant yeast)
- whole wheat flour - 1 cup
- bread flour - 2 - 21/4 cups
- For Topping
- eggs - to brush before baking
- sesame seeds - to sprinkle on top before baking
Mix the ingredients for dough and form a dough that is not too stiff. Allow to rise until doubled.
Divide dough into 8 pieces and smoothen each into a ball. Place on greased or parchment lined baking sheet and allow to double again.
Brush with eggs or milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in a 375F preheated oven for 15 - 18 minutes until tops are golden brown.
2 years ago: How to Cook Quinoa
3 years ago: Baked Potato Nest
1. Mix all ingredients and form a dough.2. Place dough in an oiled bowl and allow to rise.3. Dough has doubled in size.4. Divide into 8 pieces.5. Smoothen each piece by tucking the edges under until the top is smooth. Then cover it with your fingers and shake it so it smoothens properly.6. Flatten it slightly.7. Place on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet until doubled.8. Burgers have puffed up.9. Brush with milk or egg and sprinkle sesame seeds over it. Bake at 375F for 15 - 18 minutes until tops are golden brown.10. Out of the oven.
Yummy burger buns ready.