Is everyone gearing up for Diwali that is the “festival of lights”? New clothes are worn, lots of savories and sweets are prepared and fireworks light the streets during this festival. We were lucky to celebrate the festival in India last year and the kids had a blast.
This is a simple lentil snack that is very easy to prepare. Sometimes a teaspoon of ghee is added to the end product and the snack is called “Nei (Ghee) Kadalai”. Each bite reminded me of my childhood where my Grandma used to buy these snacks from the store as a treat for me. This snack needs attention and you cannot speed up the process or else you will end up with partly cooked or overcooked dal and both are not fun. Off to the recipe.
Deep fried lentils seasoned with spices.
- oil - to deep fry
- channa dal - 1 cup - soaked for 4 hours
- salt - to taste
- chilly powder - to taste
- garlic - 2 cloves - crushed
Soak channa dal overnight. Spread the soaked dal on a plate and allow to dry for about 30 - 45 minutes.
Heat oil and deep fry the dal in small batches stirring off and on. When the dal turns golden brown and the hissing sound stops, remove from oil and sprinkle some salt and chilly powder over it.
After all the dal has been fried, fry some garlic cloves in oil and mix with the fried dal. Once cooled store in airtight containers.
1. Keep the heat to a medium.
2. If you have a ladle with tiny holes that can be immersed in oil, place the channa dal in it and immerse in oil allowing it to cook while in the ladle.
3. Garlic can be omitted.
4. A tsp of ghee can be added to the fried dal finally.
1 year ago: Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 years ago: How to Make Croutons
1. Soak channa dal overnight.2. Allow the soaked dal to dry for about 30 - 45 minutes.3. Heat oil and start frying the dal in small batches. Keep a medium flame. Stir the dal off and on.4. When the dal turns golden brown and the hissing sound has stopped remove from oil.5. Fried dal.6. While the dal is warm sprinkle salt and chilly powder over it.7. After all the dal has been fried, fry some garlic cloves in oil and mix with the fried dal.
Crunchy snack ready.