After the savory rhubarb pickle, I decided to make something sweet. I was initially skeptical because rhubarb is very tart and was not sure how it would taste in the muffin. But, I was completely blown away with the taste and moistness of the muffins. The rhubarb pieces added just a touch of tartness without overpowering the muffins. Overall the kids and adults enjoyed it alike. Muffins had a soft and spongy texture. Thanks Rachel for the recipe and for the rhubarb . Off to the recipe.
Tasty rhubarb muffins.
- butter - 1/4 cup
- sugar - 3/4 cup
- egg whites - 1
- all purpose flour - 1 cup
- baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- buttermilk - 1/2 cup
- rhubarb - 1 cup (cut into small pieces)
- For Topping
- brown sugar - 2 tbsp
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg white and beat well.
Add all purpose flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk and mix using a spatula until just combined. Add the rhubarb and mix gently.
Pour the batter in a muffin pan (about 2/3rd full). Mix the topping ingredients and top the batter with it.
Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 20 - 25 min until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
1. Buttermilk substitute: Mix 1 tbsp vinegar + almost 1 cup milk and set aside for a few minutes. Then use it in place of buttermilk.
2. The original recipe was a 9 x 13 coffee cake. I halved it and made it as muffins and adjusted the baking time accordingly. Hence the use of one egg white. (The original recipe used 1 whole egg).
1 year ago: Zucchini Poriyal
2 years ago: Cucumber Salsa
1. Take butter and sugar in a bowl.2. Beat well.3. Add egg white.4. Beat well.5. Add all purpose flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk.6. Mix using a spatula. Do not over mix.7. Add rhubarb.8. Mix gently using spatula.9. Pour into a greased muffin pan. Fill each groove about 2/3rd full.10. Mix the topping ingredients together.11. Top the batter with the topping mixture. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 20 - 25 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.12. Out of the oven.
Tasty muffin ready.
Linking to Bake Fest #21 hosted by Sweet ‘n’ Savory.