Dal Makhani is a tomato based lentil dish that is rich, flavorful and very tasty. I have heard people use the slow cooker to make the same and had to try it out in my new 7 in 1 pressure cooker (Instant Pot) that also functions as a slow cooker. The good thing about slow cooker is that you can dump your ingredients and walk away and let the cooker do its magic. The recipe is the same as dal makhani, but I have used lentils instead of the usual black urad. If you are using black urad, you might need to cook it a bit longer. The dish as mentioned was so flavorful and the kids could not get enough of it and were just eating by the spoonfuls without the bread. Off to the recipe.
Slow cooker version of lentil makhani.
- lentils - 2 1/2 cups (soaked for an hour)
- red kidney beans - 1/2 cup (soaked for 4 hours or overnight )
- water - 6 cups
- tomatoes - 1 1/4 cup - puree (I used canned)
- chilly powder - 1/4 tsp - adjust to taste
- salt - to taste
- turmeric - a pinch
- ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- milk - 1 1/2 cups
- butter - 1 tbsp
Mix everything except milk and butter in the slow cooker vessel. Cook on HIGH for 6 hours. Add the milk and butter and cook on LOW for 2 hours.
Serve with rice, roti, etc.
2 years ago: Jalapeno Thogayal
3 years ago: Tofu Capsicum Bhurji
4 years ago: Zucchini Yogurt Gravy
1. Add everything except milk and butter. Cook on HIGH for 6 hours.2. Add milk and butter. Cook on LOW for 2 hours.3. Serve with nan, roti, rice, etc.
Tasty makhani ready.