Lentil gravy is a comfort food for me and this is a simple dish with red lentils and spinach. The gravy goes well with rice or flat bread and is perfect for week nights since it is a one pot dish. I have used a pressure cooker, but since red lentils cook pretty fast, you can use any vessel. Off to the recipe.
Simple and tasty gravy with red lentils and spinach.
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- onion - 1 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 1 cup - chopped
- garlic - 3 cloves - minced
- spinach - 4 cups - packed fresh spinach
- turmeric - a pinch
- sambar powder - 1 tsp - adjust to taste
- salt - to taste
- masoor dal - 1/2 cup - soaked in water for 30 minutes (red lentils)
- water - 2 1/2 cups
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add onions and saute until onions are cooked.
Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the dal is done. I used a pressure cooker and cooked for 5 minutes. (2 whistles).
Serve with rice or roti.
2 years ago: Bottle Gourd Peanut Fry
3 years ago: Bonda
4 years ago: Simple Okra Fry
1. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add onions. Saute until onions are cooked.2. Add tomatoes, garlic and spinach.3. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook until done. I used a pressure cooker.4. Dal ready. Serve with rice or roti.
Healthy gravy ready.