Kofthas are a popular North Indian dish and has a ton of variations and is packed with flavor. They can be made with vegetables or meat and is usually accompanied with a tangy tomato or white gravy. The kofthas go well with rice or flat bread and need to be handled delicately. I remember when my buddy Shai brought kofthas for a potluck, I started to turn them and flip them around to her horror . That was my first experience with kofthas and I have become better in handling them since. . These kofthas were even more fragile because of the cauliflower and disintegrated much easily than the ones made with just potatoes. The taste was out of the world and the gravy paired well with the rotis. Every bite was packed with flavor from the spices and raisins. I had earlier posted paneer kofthas if you are looking for a way to use up paneer. Of to the recipe.
Cauliflower-potato balls in tangy gravy.
- oil - 1 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- cauliflower - 3 cups - grated or chopped finely
- salt - to taste
- turmeric - a pinch
- potatoes - 2 cups - cooked and mashed
- chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- cumin powder - 1 tsp
- coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- raisins - 1 tbsp
- cilantro - 3/4 cup - packed (chopped)
Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Add cauliflower, salt and turmeric and saute until mixture turns dry and cooked. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Make small balls of the mixture.
Heat a paniyaram pan and pour a little oil into each groove. Place the balls in the groove and after a few minutes, flip the balls gently. Repeat until all sides are browned.
Make the gravy following this recipe. Place the cooked kofthas in a deep dish and pour the gravy over it. Serve with rice or rotis.
Handle the kofthas gently.
1 year ago: Okra (Vendakkai) Sambar
2 years ago: Snow Peas Soya Chunks Rice
3 years ago: Asparagus Tofu Fry
1. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Add the finely chopped cauliflower, salt and turmeric.2. Saute until the mixture turns dry.3. Add potatoes, chilly powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and raisins.4. Mix well.5. Add cilantro and mix.6. Form small balls of the mixture.7. Heat a paniyaram pan and pour a little oil into each groove. Place the balls in the groove.8. In a few minutes, gently flip over and repeat until all sides are browned.9. Make the gravy following this recipe.10. Place kofthas in a deep dish and pour the gravy over it.
Yummy kofthas ready.