Today is a very simple recipe using tomatillos and lentils. I find tomatillos to be similar to raw green tomatoes, but slightly on the tangier side. This recipe was a welcome change to the usual dal that we have with rotis and was loved by all. The tanginess added a nice touch to the plain dal and the chillies added the needed heat. I have already posted tomatillo salsa and tomatillo pasta. Off to the recipe.
Easy side dish with lentils and tomatillos.
- oil - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- onion - 1/4 cup - chopped
- ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
- green chilly - 4 - adjust to taste
- moong dal - 1/3 cup
- water - 1 1/4 cups
- tomatillo - 3/4 cup - chopped (can reduce to 1/2 cup if needed)
- salt - to taste
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add onion, ginger paste and green chillies.
When onions are cooked, add the rest of the ingredients and cook until dal is done. Serve with chapatis or rice.
1. I used a pressure cooker. You can also cook in a vessel.
2. Adjust quantity of tomatillos based on desired tanginess.
1 year ago: Oatmeal White Bread
2 years ago: Karasev (Savory Snack)
3 years ago: Molten Lava Cake
1. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add onions, ginger paste and green chillies. 2. When onions are cooked add the rest of the ingredients. Cook until dal is done.3. Side dish ready for chapati / rice.
Tangy dal ready.