Ragi is known for its health benefits and in India this mix is normally made for little kids. The mix is made in bulk and stored in air tight containers for a few months. You then dilute the needed amount of mix with water and cook until the mixture thickens.You can customize the recipe according to need by adding sugar or salt. Also, adjust the quantity of water to get a thick or thin kanji. You can also use milk or water. Two things to remember. 1. Use cold water and mix the powder first without lumps. 2. While heating the kanji, keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps. The kanji thickens further on cooling. Off to the recipe.
Healthy mix for kids.
- ragi - 3 pounds (1 1/2 kg - soaked overnight and sprouted)
- samba wheat - 1 pound (1/2 kg)
- almonds - 1/2 cup (100 gm)
- pottukadalai - 1.5 pounds (3/4 kg)
- boiled rice - 1 pound (1/2 kg)
- cashews - 1/4 cup (50 gm)
- sago - 1/2 cup (100 gm)
- peanuts - 1 cup (200 gm)
- whole moong - 1/2 pound (1/4 kg)
Fry all the ingredients (except pottukadalai) separately until a nice aroma floats. Finally add the pottukadalai to the other ingredients and grind together.
Store in an airtight container.
Normally the ragi is sprouted and then used. This time the weather did not co-operate and we fried the ragi without sprouting.
The mix is normally ground in the mill back home.
For sprouting, soak ragi overnight. The next morning you should see very tiny sprouts. (Do not wait for big sprouts). Then dry the sprouts in shade or indoors under the fan for a couple of days. Then fry the sprouts until a nice aroma floats. Mix with other ingredients and grind.
To prepare: Add about 1/4 cup of powder to say 1/2 - 3/4 cup of water and mix thoroughly. Then heat on a low flame stirring continuously. The mixture will thicken when done. You can increase the quantity of water for a dilute version.
1 year ago: Basic Tomato Gravy
2 years ago: Carrot Garlic Fry
3 years ago: Broccoli Channa Dal Paratha
1. Ragi cleaned and ready.2. Fry all the ingredients (except pottukadalai) separately until a nice aroma floats. Finally add the pottukadalai to the other ingredients and grind together. Store in an airtight container.
Ragi maavu ready.