A few years back we bought a few cartons of red bell pepper soup from the store. Although the others in the family liked it, I felt it was way too creamy for me. That was the inspiration to make this soup from scratch with less or no cream. If you are roasting just one pepper as in this case, the stove top is easier. But the oven broiling is my preferred method if roasting more than a couple. It takes a bit longer to roast in the oven though.Roasting the pepper brings out the sweetness in it and the soup tasted great. Even though no cream was used, the milk added the needed richness to it. Off to the recipe.
Roasted red bell pepper soup.
- red bell pepper - 1
- olive oil - 1 tsp
- garlic - 5 cloves - minced
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- potatoes - 1/4 cup (1 small one)
- carrots - 1 cup - diced
- tomatoes - 1 cup - chopped
- salt - as needed
- pepper - as needed
- milk - 1/2 cup - I used 2% milk
Wrap the bell pepper in foil and roast over an open flame until it is soft and charred. Remove from flame and allow to cool in the wrap. Peel the skin and keep aside.
Heat oil and add onions and garlic; when onions are cooked add carrots, potatoes and about 1/4 cup of water.
When carrots are cooked add the bell pepper and tomatoes; turn off the flame when the tomatoes turn mushy. Allow to cool and blend well. Bring it back to the vessel and turn the flame to low. Add salt, pepper and milk. Simmer for a couple of minutes and turn off the stove.
You can also roast the bell peppers in the oven.
1 year ago: Mini Carrot Cheesecakes
2 years ago: Cheesy Vegetable Pasta with White Sauce
1. Wrap the bell pepper in foil.2. Roast over an open flame until it is soft and charred.3. Bell pepper is cooked. Keep it wrapped for a few minutes. The steam will loosen the skin and will be easier to remove.4. Peel the skin off slowly.5. Bell pepper ready for pureeing.6. Heat olive oil and add garlic and onion.7. Onion is cooked.8. Add potatoes, carrots and about 1/4 cup water for the vegetables to cook.9. Vegetables are cooked.10. Add the bell pepper and tomatoes.11. Cook until the tomatoes become mushy.12. Allow to cool and take in a blender.13. Puree well.14. Pour the puree into the vessel. Add salt and pepper and keep the flame on low.15. Add milk. Simmer for a couple of minutes.16. Soup ready.
Tasty soup with crackers.