This is a simple gravy with fresh okra. Nowadays fresh okra has become a delicacy since we live miles away from Indian stores. I made this dish last summer with the few okra that we got from our garden. This kuzhambu is versatile and goes with idli, dosai, rice, roti and so on. Also, you can avoid the grinding part if you have coconut milk on hand.Coconut even in small quantity adds some richness to the dish and takes even simple gravies like this to a high-level. We had it with rice and loved it. Off to the recipe.
Tasty gravy with okra and coconut.
- oil - 2 tsp
- vadagam - a bit
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 3/4 cup - chopped
- okra - 2 cups - cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt - to taste
- sambar powder - 1 - 2 tsp (adjust to taste)
- turmeric - a pinch
- coconut - 2 tbsp - ground with water into a paste
Heat oil and add vadagam. Add the rest of the ingredients except coconut. Make a paste with coconut and some water.
When the vegetables are cooked add about 1 1/2 cups water and the coconut paste. Simmer for about 10 minutes and turn off the stove. Serve with rice, rotis, etc.
You can use about 1/2 cup of coconut milk instead of grinding coconut.
1 year ago: Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
2 years ago: Buttermilk Rasam
1. Heat oil and add vadagam.2. Add the rest of the ingredients except coconut.3. Vegetables are cooked.4. Make a paste with coconut and some water.5. Add about 1 1/2 cups water and the coconut paste to the vegetables.6. Simmer for about 10 minutes and turn off the stove. Serve with rice, rotis, idlis, dosai etc.
Tasty kuzhambu ready.