Kuruma is normally a gravy that has coconut. This is one of my favorite gravies and goes perfect with rice or rotis. It is versatile and you can add vegetables of choice. My mom makes this with drumstick, but sadly I only get the skinny frozen drumsticks here and hence decided to use raw plantain. If you have coconut milk on hand, then there is no grinding involved and the whole dish takes just 15 – 20 minutes to make. Off to the recipe.
Raw plantain gravy with coconut milk.
- channa dal - 1/4 cup (kadala paruppu)
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp (kadugu)
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 3/4 cup - chopped
- garlic - 4 cloves
- plantain - 2 cups - cubed
- salt - to taste
- sambar powder - 1/4 tsp
- turmeric - a pinch
- coconut - 2 tbsp (I used dry coconut, but you can use coconut milk instead)
Cook channa dal and keep aside. Grind the coconut with little water to form a paste.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add about 11/2 cups water and the rest of the ingredients except coconut. When the plantain is cooked add the coconut paste and simmer for a couple of minutes.
Serve with rice or rotis.
2 years ago: Banana Carrot Loaf
1. Cook channa dal and keep aside.2. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add onion, tomatoes, garlic, plantain and the cooked dal.3. Add about 11/2 cups water, sambar powder, turmeric and salt.4. Bring to a boil.5. If using coconut milk skip this step. Otherwise make a paste with coconut and little water.6. Plantains are cooked.7. Add the coconut paste or milk.8. Simmer for a couple of minutes. Serve with rice or rotis.
Tasty kuruma ready.