Are you a fan of one-pot meals? They are my favorite meals for week night dinners since they are easy to put together and involves less cleanup too. You can find one version of mushroom rice here and this variation uses store bought biriyani masala. At one point I was obsessed with that masala that I bought tons of the same and then lost interest in those for some reason. You can add some garam masala and chilly powder instead if you do not have biriyani masala.My freezer is always stocked with different kinds of cooked beans that I add to a lot of dishes. Black beans seemed to be a nice choice and a handful got added to the rice to make it wholesome and healthy. Raita or chips would be a good side dish to this rice and you can substitute different beans or fresh peas also for black beans. Off to the recipe.
Rice with black beans and mushrooms.
- oil - 1 tbsp
- cinnamon - small piece
- cloves - 2
- onion - 1 cup - chopped
- green chilly - 3
- ginger-garlic paste - 2 tsp
- tomatoes - 3/4 cup - chopped
- mushrooms - 2 1/2 cup - sliced
- black beans - 3/4 cup - cooked
- basmati rice - 2 cups
- salt - to taste
- turmeric - a pinch
- biriyani masala - 1 - 2 tsp
- water - 4 cups
- cilantro - to garnish
Heat oil and add cinnamon and cloves followed by onion, green chillies and ginger-garlic paste. When onion is cooked add the tomatoes.
When tomatoes turn mushy add the mushrooms; saute on high flame until the mushrooms shrink and the moisture evaporates. Next add the cooked black beans and rice.
Add water, salt, turmeric and biriyani masala. Cover and cook on a medium flame until the rice is done. When rice is cooked, garnish with cilantro and serve with raita or chips.
I normally cook these one pot meals in the pressure pan. As soon as I see the steam, I reduce the flame and cook for about 12 minutes.
1 year ago: Yucca Root Fry
2 years ago: Idiyappam (Rice Noodles)
1. Heat oil and add cinnamon and cloves followed by onion, green chillies and ginger-garlic paste.2. When onions are cooked add the tomatoes.3. When tomatoes turn mushy add the mushrooms.4. Saute on high flame until the mushrooms shrink and the moisture evaporates.5. Add the cooked black beans and rice.6. Add water, turmeric, salt and biriyani masala. Cover and cook on a medium flame until the rice is done. 7. Garnish with cilantro and serve with raita or chips.
Healthy rice ready.
Linking to DIO – Light Dinners hosted by Preetha.