I had mentioned in this post about how I was having fun with mango pulp making muffins, lassi and so on. These muffins were a complete hit and my boy loved them. Ten years ago I had no idea about tweaking baking recipes, but now I have been tinkering with the basic banana nut muffin recipe and these are the variations.Most of the fat has been replaced with greek yogurt and some of the flour has been replaced with whole wheat flour. I am really loving this organic wheat flour that it is being added to a lot of baked goods. The muffins were moist with a subtle mango flavor. The sweetened pulp and chocolate chips provided the needed sweetness and we have made it twice already in the past couple of weeks. Off to the recipe.
Healthy muffins with mango puree and greek yogurt.
- all purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
- whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- baking powder - 1 tbsp
- milk - 1 cup (I used fat free)
- mango - 3/4 - 1 cup (puree)
- oil - 2 tbsp
- greek yogurt - 1/4 cup
- eggs - 1
- chocolate chips - 1/2 cup (mini size chips)
Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Mix the wet ingredients, dry ingredients and chocolate chips until combined. Grease a muffin pan.
Fill up each muffin cup to about 2/3rd full. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top if needed. Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 25 - 30 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
1. You can puree ripe mangoes to get the pulp if you do not have canned pulp.
2. The original recipe called for 1/3rd cup of oil. So if you do not have greek yogurt, use 1/3rd cup of oil.
3. You can use just all purpose flour also if needed. (Use a total of 2 cups of all purpose flour).
4. You can use nuts instead or along with chocolate chips.
5. Make sure you add sugar (couple of tbsp to a 1/4 cup) if your mango pulp is not sweet enough and if you are not adding chocolate chips.
1 year ago: Cabbage Soya Chunks Curry
2 years ago: Festive Biriyani
1. Mix flours, salt and baking powder together.2. Mix milk, mango puree, oil, greek yogurt and eggs.3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; add chocolate chips.4. Mix with a spatula until it comes together. Do not overmix.5. Grease a muffin pan. Fill up each muffin cup to about 2/3rd full. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top if needed. Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 25 - 30 minutes until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.6. Out of the oven.
Tasty muffins ready.