Cooking becomes time-consuming when we have to blend spices and other ingredients each time. This is a handy gravy to make in bulk and store in refrigerator or freezer. During the summer when our garden was overflowing with tomatoes, this was one of the gravies I decided to make and freeze. When ready to use just thaw it and add cooked garbanzo, panner, etc. to it and you are all set for side dish.This is a simple gravy with no cream or butter. If you are looking for a rich gravy, then this makhni gravy is a good choice. This was the year of tomatoes and I have that in the freezer too along with crushed tomatoes that I use for a variety of dishes. Off to the recipe.
Basic gravy with tomatoes.
- oil - 3 1/2 tsp (divided)
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- onion - 3 cups - chopped into big pieces
- garlic - 10 cloves
- tomatoes - 6 cups - chopped into big pieces
- ginger - 1 1/2 inch piece (use more or less as needed)
- jalapeno - 3 - 4 (adjust to taste and also reduce the quantity if using Indian chillies)
- salt - to taste
- turmeric - 1/4 tsp
- chilly powder - to taste
- coriander powder - 4 tsp
- cumin powder - 2 tsp
Saute onions and garlic in a tsp of oil; allow to cool and blend well. Next blend tomatoes, ginger and jalapenos.
Heat the remaining oil and add cumin seeds. Add onion paste and saute for a few minutes. Next add tomato puree, salt, turmeric, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and 3 - 4 cups water.
Simmer until the gravy thickens to desired consistency. You can also freeze this gravy. Add cooked garbanzo, paneer, etc. to the gravy when ready to use.
1. In a tsp of oil saute onions and garlic.2. Allow to cool and take in a blender.3. Blend well.4. Next take tomatoes, ginger and jalapeno in the blender.5. Blend well.6. Heat the remaining oil and add cumin seeds.7. Add the onion paste.8. Saute for a few minutes.9. Add 3 - 4 cups water, tomato puree, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder and chilly powder.10. Simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes until the gravy reaches the desired consistency. Make this gravy in bulk and store in freezer.
Add cooked channa, paneer, etc. to this gravy when needed.
Simple gravy ready.
Linking to Basics, Tips & Tricks.