Coriander and lentils are the ingredients for this month’s “Dish it Out” and this is the dish for the same. This rice is easy to make and tastes great. The star ingredient is cilantro and it adds a ton of flavor. I chose channa dal because it holds its shape better when cooked. You can also use any legume instead of channa dal, but make sure it is cooked since rice cooks very fast and legumes or lentils take longer than that to cook. Off to the recipe.
Tasty rice with cilantro and spices.
- For Paste
- cilantro - 2 cups - packed (kothamalli)
- green chilly - 3 (adjust to taste)
- ginger - a small piece
- garlic - 3 cloves
- For Rice
- oil - 2 tsp
- cinnamon - a small piece
- cloves - 2
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 1 cup - chopped
- salt - to taste
- channa dal - 1/4 cup - kadala paruppu
- basmati rice - 1.5 cups - uncooked
Cook channa dal and keep aside. Take the ingredients mentioned under "for paste" in a blender and blend well.
Heat oil and add cinnamon and cloves. Next add onions and the paste. Saute until the onions are cooked. Add tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes turn mushy. Add rice, cooked lentils, salt and water.
Cover and cook until the rice is done. Serve with raita or chips.
2 years ago: Peanut Sundal
1. Cook channa dal and keep aside.2. Take cilantro, ginger, garlic and chillies in a blender.3. Blend well.4. Heat oil and add cinnamon and cloves.5. Add onions and the paste.6. Saute until the onion is cooked.7. Add tomatoes.8. Saute until the tomatoes turn mushy.9. Add the cooked channa dal and rice.10. Add 3 cups water and salt. Cover the vessel and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 min and turn off the stove.11. Rice is cooked.12. Fluff it up and serve with raita or chips.
Tasty rice ready.
Linking to Dish it Out – Coriander and Lentils hosted by Hetal.