The garden is overflowing with bell peppers and jalapenos that we planted to make salsa with. The only problem is that the tomatoes are not ripening at the same pace. Added to it, I recently bought a big box of feta cheese that had to be used up. Everything was put together and these beauties were born. Since the stores only carry the gigantic peppers, the small ones from the garden were perfect for this recipe. Potatoes and spinach make a wonderful combo and feta adds a nice salty touch. I normally let the peppers cook fully in the oven and do not parboil them. But, this is not the season where I want the oven to be on and hence I parboiled them for a few minutes. It made a huge world of difference and the peppers were done in no time. My initial plan was to make a rich Indian gravy with cashews and so on, but being pressed for time I went with the simple, but flavorful tomato gravy.
To make it even simpler, I used store bought sauce. The peppers were bursting with flavor from the filling and the sauce and even my kiddo loved it. I say it because he normally claims he does not like peppers. Off to the recipe.
Stuffed Bell Peppers (Potato, Spinach and Feta Filling)
Green bell peppers stuffed with potatoes, spinach and feta in a tangy tomato sauce.
- For Peppers
- potatoes - 3 cups (mashed - about 6 medium potatoes)
- spinach - 2 cups - packed (chopped coarsely)
- feta cheese - 1/2 cup
- chilly powder - 1 tsp
- coriander powder - 2 tsp
- cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- turmeric - a pinch
- salt - to taste
- bell pepper - 9 - small to medium sized ones
- For Sauce
- olive oil - 1 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp (jeeragam)
- onion - 1 cup - chopped
- ginger-garlic paste - 1.5 tsp
- tomato sauce - 2 cups (I used store bought prego sauce. Crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, etc would also work)
- chilly powder - 3/4 tsp
- salt - to taste
- coriander powder - 2 tsp
Boil, peel and coarsely mash the potatoes. Mix with the other filling ingredients and keep aside.
Take each bell pepper and remove the top portion. Also remove any membranes and seeds from the inside. Place the cleaned peppers in boiling water for about 7 minutes. Flip once in the middle if the peppers are not fully submerged in water.
Remove the peppers and stuff them with the filling. Place the peppers on a greased baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 30 - 40 minutes until the skin looks shriveled.
While the peppers are in the oven, prepare the sauce. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Add onions and ginger-garlic paste. When the onions are cooked, add the tomato sauce, chilly powder, salt and coriander powder. Simmer for 10 minutes and pour over the peppers and serve.
1. You can use paneer instead of feta cheese.
2. Follow this link to make ginger-garlic paste.
3. Follow this link to make paneer at home.
1 year ago: How to Freeze Corn
2 years ago: Chinese Fried Rice
1. Boil potatoes, peel and coarsely mash.2. Take mashed potatoes, spinach, feta cheese, salt, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and turmeric.3. Mix it all together.4. Take each bell pepper and remove the top portion. Also remove any membranes and seeds from the inside. 5. Bring water to boil in a pan and place the peppers in it. 6. Cover and cook for about 7 - 8 minutes turning once in the middle if the peppers are not fully submerged in water.7. Stuff the peppers with the filling and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 30 - 40 minutes until the skin looks shriveled.8. Out of the oven.9. While the peppers are in the oven, start on the sauce. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Next add onions and ginger-garlic paste.10. Saute until the onions are done.11. Add tomato sauce, chilly powder, salt and coriander powder.12. Simmer for 10 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Pour the sauce over the peppers and serve.
Tasty peppers ready.
Linking to Bake Fest #22 hosted by Manju.
7 Responses to Stuffed Bell Peppers (Potato, Spinach and Feta Filling)
My mouth is watering and I want to have with hot roti…
Looks super duper yummy!
Omg, those stuffed bellpeppers are just torturing me..
nice stuffing mix….
New Post at Anu’s – Mini Dark Chocolate Cups with Dry Fruits and Nuts
South Indian Cooking
Anu’s Healthy Kitchen – “HOW TO’s ? of Kitchen” EVENT and SHARE PAGE and a RECIPE (Paneer Celery Burji)
Both the stuffed peppers and the sauce look delicious. Will definitely try it out. Just a suggestion though, whenever you get time, can you also post the recipe for the rich Indian gravy that you have mentioned above? Thanks in advance!
i love this potato spinach stuffed peppers, looks so yummy..nice sauce