Thogayal is basically a condiment that we mix with rice or use as a dip for dosa, idli and so on. It is very easy to prepare and there is a ton of variations. The fiery hot green chillies (in less quantities) is normally used to make this thogayal, but since my garden has been overflowing with jalapenos, I have used the same. Since jalapenos are less hot than the Indian chilly, I have used more of it. In a pinch, you can also use this as a sandwich spread. Off to the recipe.
Spicy condiment with jalapenos.
- oil - 1 tsp (divided)
- jalapeno - 1 cup - cut into small strips
- tamarind - small lemon size
- asafoetida - a pinch
- salt - to taste
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp (kadugu)
- urad dal - 1/2 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- jaggery - 2 tsp (vellam - optional)
Saute the jalapenos in 1/2 tsp of oil. Allow to cool and blend with tamarind, salt and asafoetida.
Heat 1/2 tsp of oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal and when the dal turns golden brown, add the prepared paste and jaggery.
Saute for 5 minutes and turn off the stove. Serve with dosa, rice, idli etc.
1. Jaggery will reduce the heat a bit. Adjust the quantity as needed.
1 year ago: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
2 years ago: Sweet Corn Soup
1. In 1/2 tsp oil, saute the jalapenos. Allow to cool.2. Take jalapenos, tamarind, asafoetida and salt in a blender.3. Blend well.4. Heat 1/2 tsp of oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal.5. When the dal turns golden brown, add the paste and jaggery.6. Saute for about 5 minutes and turn off the stove. Serve with dosa, rice, idli etc.
Hot thogayal ready.
3 Responses to Jalapeno Thogayal (Pachai Milagai Thogayal)
Love that deep dark colour,thogayal looks fabulous and completely new..
Yumm and spicy…
tangy & spicy dip…love your serving bowl, nice color n looks cute