As mentioned in my chaat event post, chaats are new to me. Chaat is used to describe Indian street food and are normally savory. You will be amazed at the tons of varieties that one can come up with when it comes to chaat. The common thing that most chaats share is that they use the tasty chutneys. So, I have decided to kick start my chaat posts with the basic chutneys. Once the chutneys are done, assembling the chaat is very easy.The green chutney is pretty easy to make and the tamarind chutney if properly handled, stays for a long time in the refrigerator. These chutneys can also be used as a sandwich spread. Stay tuned for chaat recipes to follow. Off to the recipe.
Chaat Chutneys: Green Chutney and Tamarind Chutney
Basic chutneys for putting together chaats.
- Green Chutney
- cilantro - 1.5 cups - packed (coriander leaves)
- mint - 3/4 cup - packed
- green chilly - 1
- salt - to taste
- lemon juice - 4 tsp - adjust to taste
- sugar - a pinch
- Tamarind Chutney
- coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- tamarind - lime size - soaked and thick juice extracted (about 1 cup juice)
- jaggery - 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (adjust to taste)
- chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
- salt - pinch
Take all the ingredients mentioned for green chutney in a blender. Blend well.
Dry roast coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Grind using a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle.
Extract juice from tamarind and bring to a boil. Add jaggery and boil for another 5 minutes. Next add chilly powder, spice mix and salt and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the stove and enjoy with chaats.
1. For tamarind chutney, I used about 3/4 tsp of the spice powder prepared.
2. Use a clean and dry spoon for tamarind chutney to extend its life.
1 year ago: Strawberry Ice Cream
2 years ago: Spicy Focaccia Bread
1. Green Chutney: Take all ingredients mentioned for green chutney in a blender.2. Blend well. Chutney ready.3. Tamarind Chutney: Soak tamarind and extract the juice.4. Dry roast coriander seeds and cumin seeds.5. Take in a spice grinder or use a mortar and pestle.6. Powder the spices.7. Take the tamarind extract in a vessel.8. Bring to a boil.9. Add jaggery.10. Boil for 5 minutes.11. Add chilly powder, salt and the prepared spice mix.12. Simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the stove. Tamarind chutney ready.
Basic ingredients in most chaats. Having them ready makes it easy to prepare them in a jiffy.
Linking to Chaats & Chutneys.
Linking to Basics, Tips & Tricks.
6 Responses to Chaat Chutneys: Green Chutney and Tamarind Chutney
Very lovely collections of chat chutneys.
Wow Great recipes. Thanks.
Cant imagine chaat foods without these two chutneys.
wow awesome Vardhini…wish i could just grab all the ingredients n mix up for a yummy snack….
New Post at Anu’s Healthy Kitchen- Mini Dark Chocolate Cups with Dry Fruits and Nuts
South Indian Cooking
Anu’s Healthy Kitchen – “HOW TO’s ? of Kitchen” EVENT and SHARE PAGE and a RECIPE (Paneer Celery Burji)
wow both chutney’s looks yummm dear lovely recipe
Yummy! Easy yet very well documented. Lovely pictures, especially the bhel-puri one.