We are a group of food bloggers with a new event called Vegan Thursdays. This event starts from today. The main motto of this event is to share vegan dishes from any cuisine. Most of our Indian food is vegan, obviously most of our daily routine foods we make or eat are vegan without our knowledge.
Vegan means abstaining from the use of animal products. Vegan people do not use dairy products, eggs and any other animal derived substances like honey in their cooking. We will be showcasing our vegan foods during Thursdays, this event will be held twice a month. We will be posting the first and last Thursday of each month. This Vegan Thursday does not have any theme.Anyone interested in joining us, please leave your email id in the comment section and we will contact you.
Today’s recipe is a very simple recipe featuring tomatillos. K bought them because they looked like raw tomatoes. They have a paper like husk over them and are very sticky when the husk is removed. Scrub well to remove the stickiness. Since tomatillos are new to me, I asked my friend Leti if she had any salsa recipes. She was kind enough to pass me a couple of salsa recipes that were very tasty. Thank you Leti . Off to the recipe.
Roasted tomatillo salsa.
- tomatillo - 4
- onion - 1 tbsp - chopped
- jalapeno - 1 tbsp- chopped
- cilantro - 1 tbsp - chopped
- garlic - 1/2 tsp
- cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - to taste
- water - 1/2 cup
Remove the husk from the tomatillos and clean well to remove the stickiness. Wrap in foil and roast over the flame. Once roasted, allow to rest for a few minutes. Remove the skin if needed.
Take the roasted tomatillos in a blender and puree well. To the puree add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve with chips.
1. You can also broil the tomatillos instead of roasting over the open flame.
2. The quantity of ingredients can be adjusted to taste.
1 year ago: Tortilla Casserole
2 years ago: Avarakai (Broad Beans) Kootu
1. Remove the husk from the tomatillos and wash well to remove the stickiness.2. Roast over the flame. I have wrapped them in foil.3. Roasted tomatillos. Cover and allow to rest for a few minutes.4. Peel the skin off if needed.5. Take in a blender.6. Blend well.7. To the puree add onions, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, cumin powder, salt and water.8. Mix well and serve with chips.
Salsa tasted great with chips.