The easiest one pot meal has to be peas pulao and is also one of the few dishes I learnt to make in the initial days of cooking. It is very mildly spiced and is perfect for my picky eater who cannot stand even a bit of spice. I have also used frozen peas making it even more simpler. Since paneer pairs well with peas, I decided to add a few cubes. You can omit paneer if needed.
During my recent trips to India, I saw a lot of stores carry frozen vegetables. It was quite surprising since I was used to seeing fresh peas in the pod while growing up. My grandma used to buy a ton of those and we used to help remove the peas from their pods. On the other hand, I have never seen fresh peas where I live. Everything seems to be fast-paced these days and in some aspects having these frozen vegetables is a boon. Off to the easy recipe.
Easy rice with paneer and peas.
- oil - 2 tsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp (jeeragam)
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- green chilly - 5 - slit vertically
- peas - 1 3/4 cup - I used frozen peas
- basmati rice - 1.5 cups
- salt - to taste
- cilantro - 1/2 cup - chopped (coriander leaves)
- paneer - 2 cups - diced
Heat oil and saute cumin seeds for a few seconds. Add onion and chillies and saute until the onions are cooked.
Next add the peas, rice, salt and water. I use 1:2 ratio for rice:water for basmati rice. Cover and cook on a medium flame until the rice is cooked. Meanwhile slightly roast the paneer in a little oil. Cut the paneer into cubes and keep aside.
When the rice is cooked add the paneer and cilantro. Mix and serve with raita or chips.
1. I find it easier to roast the slab of paneer rather than individual cubes. You can also cut into cubes and then roast the paneer.
1 year ago: Mango Lassi
2 years ago: Mini Idlis and Sambar
1. Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Saute for a few seconds.2. Add onions and chillies.3. Saute until the onions are cooked.4. Add peas.5. Add rice.6. Add water and salt. I use 1:2 ratio for rice:water for basmati rice. Cover the vessel and cook on a medium flame until the rice is cooked.7. Meanwhile slightly roast the paneer in a little oil.8. Paneer is roasted. Cut into small cubes.9. Rice cooked.10. Add the paneer and cilantro.11. Mix and serve with chips or raita.
Easy rice ready.