Today is a very simple stir fry using bottle gourd. When I buy certain vegetables from the Indian store, I normally have big plans. Likewise I had plans to make kofthas with bottle gourd, but due to the lack of time, I ended up making a simpler curry. Peanuts add a nice crunch and taste to the bland bottle gourd. We had it with rice, but it goes well with rotis as well. Off to the recipe.
Simple fry with bottle gourd and peanuts.
- oil - 1 tsp
- peanuts - 1/2 cup (raw peanuts)
- onion - 1/2 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 1/2 cup - diced
- bottle gourd - 2 cups - diced
- sambar powder - 1/2 tsp (Use a mix of chilly powder and coriander powder instead)
- salt - to taste
- turmeric - a pinch
Soak peanuts for about 30 minutes. Slice the bottle gourd and remove the seeds from it using a spoon. Cut into cubes.
Heat oil and add onion, tomatoes, bottle gourd, peanuts, sambar powder, salt and turmeric. Allow to cook and turn off the stove when the bottle gourd is cooked. Serve with rice or rotis.
2 years ago: Okra Fry
1. Soak raw peanuts in water for about 30 minutes.2. Prepare the bottle gourd. I sliced it horizontally first and then sliced each horizontal piece into two.3. Using a spoon, remove the seeds from the pieces.4. Seeds removed from all pieces. Cut them into small cubes.5. Heat oil and add onion, tomatoes and bottle gourd.6. Add the soaked peanuts.7. Add salt, turmeric and sambar powder. Allow to cook.8. Turn off the stove when the bottle gourd is cooked. It took about 10 minutes.
Tasty curry ready.