I have never seen or heard of asparagus while in India and the scaly and woody appearance was not inviting either. The lack of Indian vegetables in our place made us finally give in and buy asparagus. The first dish I made was sambar and it was not up to the mark. We still had some hope in the vegetables and tried it again as a stir fry. That was a hit and that was the only way we liked asparagus.
Blogging caused me to slowly step out of my comfort zone and start trying different dishes with asparagus. It also helps that asparagus is pretty bland and mingles well with the added flavors. Other asparagus dishes posted are asparagus rice and asparagus-tofu fry. Off to the recipe.
Tasty asparagus fry with peanuts.
- oil - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp (kadugu)
- red chillies - 3
- onion - 3/4 cup - chopped
- asparagus - 5 cups - sliced into thin pieces
- salt - to taste
- peanuts - 1/2 cup - roasted and powdered
Dry roast peanuts and remove skin. Take in a blender and powder coarsely. Keep aside.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add red chillies and onions. When onions are cooked, add asparagus and salt. When the asparagus is cooked, add the peanut powder and mix well.
Simmer for about 6 - 8 minutes and turn the stove off.
2 years ago: Pink Vegetable Cutlet
1. Dry roast peanuts and remove the skin. Take in a blender.2. Powder coarsely and keep aside.3. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add red chillies.4. Add onions.5. Saute until onions are cooked.6. Add asparagus and salt.7. Asparagus is cooked. It took around 10 minutes for me.8. Add the peanut powder and mix well.9. Simmer for about 6 - 8 minutes and turn the stove off. Serve with rice or rotis.
Healthy fry ready.