The magical word in my house is “pasta”. Everyone is happy when there is pasta or spaghetti. Kids eagerly look forward to dinner, there is no fuss or whining from the little one and I get to add in my favorite vegetable – broccoli, in abundance. Of course, I have to deal with one picky eater who insists on just pasta with sauce and NO vegetables.
Now how happy would you be if dinner can be done in under 30 minutes? That is exactly what we are going to do today. If you like garlic and broccoli, I need not say anything more other than to run to the kitchen to try this dish. If you are not a big fan of garlic, no worries as you can add as little or as much and the dish will still be flavorful. I hope you do like broccoli . This is a very mildly spiced dish and the flavor is mainly from the garlic infused olive oil. You will taste it with each bite and for that extra kick, I have added some chilli flakes. The broccoli is blanched helping it retain its vibrant green color and is cooked just enough so it has a bite. You certainly do not want mushy broccoli. Also, the cumin seeds added a mild Indian touch to the dish. Overall, this is a very simple dish packed with a lot of flavor and is healthy too. Off to the recipe.
Angel hair pasta with broccoli. Healthy and tasty dish.
- broccoli - 2 - 3 cups - chopped into small pieces
- pasta - 2 - 3 servings - angel hair pasta
- olive oil - 1 tbsp
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp (jeeragam)
- garlic - 10 cloves - minced
- chilli flakes - as needed
- salt - to taste
Blanch the broccoli florets and keep aside. Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
Heat oil and add cumin seeds and garlic. Saute for a minute. Next add the cooked broccoli and pasta. Add chilli flakes and salt if needed. Toss it all together.
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add salt.2. Add the chopped broccoli.3. Let it sit in hot water for 2 -3 minutes.4. Remove the broccoli and place in ice cold water to stop the cooking process.5. Meanwhile cook the pasta according to package instructions.6. Heat oil and add cumin seeds.7. Next add garlic.8. Saute for a minute.9. Add the cooked pasta and broccoli.10. Sprinkle chilly flakes and add salt if needed. Toss it all together.
Vibrant and healthy pasta ready.