Upma is a breakfast dish that can be prepared in a jiffy. It is normally made with semolina (rava) and the variations are endless. You can keep it simple by adding just the seasonings or make it more filling by adding vegetables. Upma is also made with wheat rava, rice rava and so on. Along the same line comes this oats upma.
On weekdays, I do not mind eating cereal for breakfast, but by the time weekend rolls over, I am done with cereal and start craving for Indian breakfast. These upmas surely come to the rescue since they get cooked in a matter of minutes. I have been trying to include oats in our diet and I was pleased with the upma. The nuttiness of the oats combined with the slight nutty flavor of the wheat rava made it very tasty. I do have picky eaters who do not care for oats nor wheat rava and for the most part I fix this upma just for me. Well, it takes even less time to cook for one . Off to the recipe.
Tasty and healthy upma with oats and wheat rava.
- oats - 1/2 cup (old fashioned variety)
- wheat rava - 2 tbsp
- oil - 1 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- urad dal - 1/2 tsp (ulutham paruppu)
- channa dal - 1/2 tsp (kadala paruppu)
- red chillies - 2
- onion - 1/4 cup - chopped
- ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
- carrots - 1/4 cup - diced
- peas - 1/4 cup - I used frozen green peas
- salt - to taste
Dry roast oats and wheat rava for a couple of minutes. Keep aside.
Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, channa dal and red chillies. Saute until the dals turn golden brown. Next add the onion, ginger paste and saute until the onions are cooked.
Now add the carrots and peas and saute for a minute. Add about 3/4 cup water, salt and bring to a boil. Add the roasted oats and wheat rava and close the vessel.
Simmer for about 5 minutes. Turn off the stove and serve upma with pickle or chutney.
1. Adjust the quantity of water depending on how mushy or dry you want the upma to be.
1 year ago: Cucumber Pickle
1. Take oats and wheat rava in a vessel and saute for a couple of minutes.2. Remove and keep aside.3. Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, channa dal and red chillies. Saute until the dals turn golden brown.4. Add onions and ginger.5. Saute until the onions are cooked.6. Add carrots and green peas.7. Saute for a minute.8. Add about 3/4 cup water, salt and bring to a boil.9. Add the roasted oats and wheat rava stirring continuously.10. Cover the vessel and lower the flame. Oats cook very fast. It took only 5 minutes for me.11. Upma ready. Serve with chutney or pickle.
Tasty upma with spring onion chutney.
9 Responses to Oats Upma with Wheat Rava
Wonderful click i make same kind of upma:) i have a similar food blog too Do check it when free
Im a new blogger in search of new blogger friends Do follow me back or add me to your cicle will be glad to have a new frnd out there
Healthy and tasty upma…looks very delicious
Such a quick and yummy recipe.Great clicks too
Oh…Thanks for this lovely recipe
We love upma! Perfect way to get oats into your diet
Healthy and delicious Upma. Looks very colorful with the addition of Veggies..
looks super delicious!!! very healthy and nice!!
pefectly done!looks yummy