Corn meal has the consistency of coarse sooji and I had bought it just to slide pizza from the board to the stone. I place the rolled pizza on a cutting board that has been sprinkled with corn meal and then fill it with the toppings. Pizza slides out really easy and we did not have to juggle the board risking the toppings falling off.
Only when I tasted cornbread at an office get together, I decided to actually use the corn meal in the pantry to cook. So, I made this hot cornbread to go with the vegetarian chilli. I did not know that cornbread was so easy to make and it went perfectly with the chilli. Recipe adapted from corn meal box.
The bread as you can see had a slightly crisp exterior and soft interior.
Easy and tasty corn bread
- corn meal - 1/2 cup
- all purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- sugar - 1 tsp
- milk - 1/2 cup - fat free
- oil - 2 tbsp
- eggs - just the white from one egg
- jalapeno - 1 tbsp chopped - use the pickled jalapeno
- onion - 1/4 cup - optional
Mix together corn meal, all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Add milk, oil, egg white, jalapeno and onion if using. Mix well.
Grease a 6.5 inch cast iron skillet and pour the batter into it and bake in a 400F preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes until the top is slightly golden and the bread leaves the edges.
1. If using onion, saute it in a tsp of oil and then add to batter.
2. Half a tsp of cumin seeds can also be added.
1 year ago: Jaffa Cakes
1. Take cornmeal, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.2. Mix well.3. Add milk.4. Add oil.5. Add the egg white.6. Add jalapeno.7. Mix well.8. Grease a 6.5 inch cast iron skillet.9. Pour the batter into it and bake in a 400F preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes until the top is slightly golden and the bread leaves the edges.10. Out of the oven.
Easy corn bread ready.
Linking to Bake Fest #16 hosted by Surabhi.