If you are looking for different ways to cook mushrooms, look no further. While scanning the recipe book to finish up the leftover mushrooms after making the mushroom masala, I stumbled upon this recipe. It had my favorite ingredients yogurt and legumes and I had to make it. The beans were soaked and the next day we had this yummy gravy with rice.
Although I have not tried using canned beans, I do not see a reason as to why it will not work. Just make sure you adjust the salt accordingly since canned goods might contain salt. Recipe adapted from Mallika Badrinath Vegetarian Curries. Off to the recipe.
Tasty mushroom curry that goes well with rice or rotis.
- To Grind
- oil - 1 tsp
- onion - 1 1/4 cup - chopped
- tomatoes - 3/4 cup - chopped
- ginger - small piece
- chilly powder - 3/4 tsp
- garam masala - 1/4 tsp
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- For Gravy
- red kidney beans - 1/2 cup - dry (rajma)
- oil - 1 tsp
- cloves - 2
- cinnamon - small piece
- green chilly - 3
- coriander powder - 1.5 tsp
- cumin powder - 1.5 tsp
- chilly powder - 1/4 - 1/2 tsp
- salt - to taste
- mushrooms - 3.5 cups - sliced
- yogurt - 1/2 cup - thick (I strained 1 cup low fat yogurt overnight)
Homemade yogurt can be made following this link
- cilantro - 2 tbsp (coriander leaves)
Soak rajma overnight and cook well.
Heat oil and saute onions, tomatoes and ginger. Allow to cool and blend with chilly powder, garam masala and salt.
Heat oil and add cloves, cinnamon, green chillies, puree, chilly powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Saute until the puree thickens. Add the mushrooms, cooked rajma and 1/2 cup of water. Taste and add salt if needed.
Turn off the stove when the mushrooms are cooked. When the gravy cools down a bit, add the yogurt. Mix well and garnish with cilantro. Serve warm with rotis or rice.
1. Rajma soaked overnight and ready to be cooked.2. Cooked rajma. I used a pressure cooker to cook the rajma.3. Heat oil and add onion, tomatoes and ginger.4. Saute until the onions are cooked. Allow to cool.5. Take the cooled mixture in a blender and add chilly powder, garam masala and salt.6. Blend to a puree. Keep aside.7. Heat oil and add cloves, cinnamon and green chillies.8. Add the puree, chilly powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.9. Saute until the puree thickens. It took around 10 minutes for me.10. Add the mushrooms.11. Add the cooked rajma.12. Mix and add about 1/2 cup of water. Taste and add salt if needed.13. When the mushrooms are cooked turn off the stove. When the mixture cools down a bit, add the yogurt.14. Mix and add cilantro.15. Mix well and serve with rice or roti.
Tasty curry ready. Enjoy!
Linking to New U – 2013.