Kuruma is normally a gravy dish where coconut is one of the key ingredients. I am always looking out for new ways to cook mushrooms since everyone at home loves mushrooms. When we visited a friend’s house for dinner during Christmas time, his sister made a ton of dishes and I mean a lot. Pooris, biriyani, a couple of gravy dishes, a couple of dry dishes, sambar, rasam and so on were waiting for us and it was pure bliss .
Mushroom kuruma caught my attention immediately and I got the recipe from her. Changed a few things here and there and made it as a side to pulao. It was different since I have made kuruma only with the usual vegetables and we loved it. You can find other mushroom dishes here. Also, checkout vegetable kuruma, tomato kuruma and cauliflower kuruma. Off to the recipe.
Coconut based gravy side dish made with mushrooms.
- For Paste
- oil - 1/2 tsp
- onion - 1/2 cup
- coconut - 2 tbsp
- pottukadalai - 1 tbsp (roasted gram dal)
- cashews - 5
- cloves - 2
- cinnamon - small piece
- green chilly - 2
- red chillies - 1
- coriander seeds - 1.5 tsp
- garlic - 2 cloves
- For Gravy
- oil - 1 tbsp
- onion - 1.5 cups - chopped
- tomatoes - 1.5 cups - chopped
- mushrooms - 2 cups - cut into medium chunks (14 oz box)
- salt - to taste
- turmeric - a pinch
- cilantro - to garnish (coriander leaves)
For paste: Heat oil and saute onions. When cooled, take in a blender along with other ingredients mentioned under "paste". Blend well and keep aside.
For gravy: Heat oil and saute onions. When onions are cooked, add tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes turn mushy. Next add the prepared paste and saute for about 10 minutes until the paste thickens.
Add the mushrooms, salt, turmeric and about a cup of water. Simmer until the mushrooms are cooked. Turn of the stove when mushrooms are cooked and garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rotis or rice.
1. Add any vegetable or mixture of vegetables instead of mushrooms.
1 year ago: Coconut Sevai
1. Saute onion in half a tsp of oil. Allow to cool.2. Take onion and all other ingredients mentioned under "For Paste" in a blender.3. Blend well. Keep aside.4. For Gravy: Heat oil and add the onions.5. Onions are cooked.6. Add tomatoes.7. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.8. Add the prepared paste.9. Mix well and simmer until the paste thickens.10. 10 minutes later, the mixture is ready for mushrooms.11. Add mushrooms.12. Add salt and turmeric.13. Mix well and add about a cup of water. Simmer until the mushrooms are cooked.14. When done, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rotis or rice.
Mildly spiced, tasty kurma ready.