I have been so off with my festival recipes because of the trip. Hard to believe, but it is going to be 2 months since I baked. Hands are itching to bake, but there is just too much to do post-trip. I am happy for the cooking and baking I did before the trip that is helping me now.
The family loves bread, particularly yeast breads and I bookmarked this recipe as soon as I got the book. My son saw the pictures while I was uploading and he asked me when I was going to make them again. The 2 dozen rolls flew out in a matter of minutes. These rolls can be baked and served immediately or can be frozen and re-baked at a later time. Refer to notes for instructions on the same. The rolls were flaky, tasty and were perfect as is. Recipe from Taste of Home Annual Recipes 2006.
Tasty rolls that are perfect for a snack.
- bread flour - 4 cups
- yeast - 2 tsp - I used instant yeast
- sugar - 2 tbsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- oil - 2 tbsp
- milk - 3/4 cup - warm milk
Mix bread flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oil and milk. Form the dough using warm water. Knead the dough for 7 - 8 minutes and allow to rise in a warm place.
When the dough doubles in volume, punch it down and divide into 2 portions. Divide each portion into 12 pieces and form each piece into a knot.
Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet and allow to rise again. It took 30 minutes for me. Next brush the tops with melted butter and bake in a preheated 375F oven for 15 - 18 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
1. All purpose flour can be used instead of bread flour.
2. If using active dry yeast, proof it first with some warm water and sugar and then add to flour. You can add the same amount of yeast as mentioned. For proofing : Mix active dry yeast, little luke warm water(about 1 oz.) and sugar. When it gets frothy, add to the flour. Skip adding sugar to the flour since we have already added it for proofing.
3. From the book : If freezing for later, do a partial bake at 300F for 15 minutes.Cool and freeze. Reheat frozen rolls at 375F for 12 - 15 minutes.
1 year ago: Cranberry-Pistachio Shortbread
1. Take bread flour in a bowl.2. Add yeast. Mix.3. Add sugar.4. Add salt.5. Mix well.6. Add oil. Mix well.7. Add milk.8. Mix.9. Form the dough using water.10. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 7 - 8 minutes.11. We get a smooth dough after kneading.12. Cover and place in a warm place for the dough to rise.13. The dough has doubled.14. Punch the dough down and divide into 2 portions.15. Take one portion and divided into 12 pieces.16. Take each piece and roll into a rope.17. Start to form the knot.18. Knot done.19. Pinch the edges. Repeat with other pieces.20. Place on a greased baking sheet and allow to rise again for half an hour. Cover the sheet while allowing to rise.21. Brush the tops with melted butter and bake in a preheated 375F oven for 15 - 18 minutes until the tops are golden brown.22. Out of the oven.
Yummy rolls ready.