Back from a wonderful vacation and slowly getting back to routine while fighting the jet lag. After a month of no cooking and cleaning, making rice also seems like a big task . We have been surviving on rasam the past two days and I have been cleaning and unpacking suitcases. Hoping to get back to normal routine sometime soon.
I normally prefer eating raw carrots and mostly stick with a simple side of shredded carrots mixed with lemon juice. While looking for carrot recipes to finish up the carrots before the vacation, I spotted this pickle. There was hesitation initially since I have only made Indian pickles with lemon, mango and tomato until now. But, the crunchiness of the carrots drew me instantly and it tasted very good. Planning to try the same with other vegetables too. Recipe from here.
Carrots picked the Indian way using spices.
- For Pickle Masala
- mustard seeds - 1 tsp (Kadugu)
- fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp (Vendhayam)
- asafoetida - pinch
- For Pickle
- oil - 2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- carrots - 1 cup - sliced the julienne way
- chilly powder - 3/4 tsp
- salt - to taste
- lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Prepare the pickle masala by dry roasting mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida. Allow to cool and grind to a fine powder.
For pickle, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add the carrots and saute for a couple of minutes. Add 2 tsp of pickle masala, salt and chilly powder. Cook for a couple of minutes and turn off the stove. Add lemon juice and serve with rice or roti.
1. I used 2 tsp of the masala. Use more or less as needed.
2. It will stay good in the fridge for 2-3 days.
3. Do not overcook the carrots. It needs to be crunchy.
1 year ago: Batura
1. For pickle masala - Dry roast 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds and asafoetida.2. Allow to cool.3. Take in a blender or coffee grinder.4. Grind to a fine powder.5. Heat oil and splutter 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.6. Add the carrots.7. Saute for a couple of minutes.8. Add salt, chilly powder and 2 tsp of the pickle masala. Cook for a couple of minutes and turn the stove off.9. Add lemon juice.10. Mix well. Serve with rice or roti.
Tasty pickle ready.