“Podi” means powder and we have tons of different podi’s in Indian cuisine. This lentil powder is one of the simplest ones and is a life saver on the tiring days. A few tsp of the podi is normally mixed with rice and eaten. I learnt most of the podis after the wedding since it is a staple at my inlaws house. It is easy and can be made in advance. Just that alone was enough to grab my attention. Why wouldn’t it right?
During our first few trips to the US, my MIL used to pack all these podis for us, but I have started making the simpler ones at home these days. My favorite of all podis is the one made with sesame seeds. Podi rice is normally paired with a lentil based vegetable gravy called “kootu” in my house. Off to the recipe.
Powder made with lentils and is normally mixed with rice.
- toor dal - 1/4 cup (thuvaram paruppu)
- channa dal - 2 tbsp (kadala paruppu)
- pepper - 1 tsp (whole peppercorns)
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- asafoetida - a pinch
- red chillies - 2
- salt - to taste
Take all the ingredients except salt in a pan and roast until the dals turn golden brown. Allow to cool and take in a blender or coffee grinder. Add salt and blend to a fine powder.
Mix with rice along with a tsp of oil or ghee for an easy meal.
1. These powders have a very good shelf life and come in handy on those tiring days.
2. Use a clean spoon always.
1 year ago: Apple Upside Down Cake
1. Take toor dal, channa dal, peppercorns, cumin seeds, asafoetida and chillies in a pan and roast.2. The dals are golden brown. Turn off the stove and allow to cool.3. Take the cooled lentils in a blender or coffee grinder. Add salt.4. Make a fine powder. Mix a few tsp of this powder and a tsp of oil with rice for an easy meal.
Easy paruppu podi ready to be mixed with rice.