I have special requirements when it comes to tofu and the foremost is that it should have a crispy crust. Until now I have achieved it only through baking as you can see here and for the first time I decided to try using the pan to fry tofu. I found that the main difference between the two methods was that baking hardened the tofu slightly whereas the pan method kept the tofu nice and soft with a beautiful crust. There has to be pros and cons right . The con to the pan method is that it needs attention. You have to stand and keep moving the pieces around, gently of course until you reach the crispiness you desire. In baking, well you know, we just toss it together with spices and bake for a predetermined time. So, I let you make the pick and for today let us enjoy the pan fried tofu.
For both methods you need to remove the moisture and from my experience it is an absolute must for the pan method so that the tofu does not stick. Sticky tofu is never fun right. The other requirement is that there has to be soy sauce when it comes to tofu. They have been married together in my part of the world . Enough of my requirements, let us enjoy the dish now. Off to the recipe.
Tofu and Squash Fry
Shallow fried tofu mixed with cooked squash. Perfect as a filling for wraps or as a side.
- For Tofu
- tofu - 1 box - pressed and cubed
- olive oil - 4 tsp
- soy sauce - 2 tbsp
- For Vegetables
- zucchini - 3 cups - chopped into bite size pieces
- yellow squash - 2 cups - chopped into bite size pieces
- chilli flakes - as needed
- soy sauce - 1 - 2 tsp
- salt - add if needed since soy sauce has salt
1. Press tofu by following instructions in Chilli Tofu. Cut tofu into cubes. Refer to notes.
2. Heat olive oil and add the cubed tofu. Add soy sauce and keep turning the pieces gently until the tofu gets a crispy layer on all sides. Remove and keep aside.
3. To the same pan, add the zucchini and yellow squash.
4. Add chilli flakes, soy sauce and salt if needed.
5. When the squash is cooked, add the cooked tofu. Turn off the stove.
6. Use the mix as a side or as a filling for wraps.
Last year : Pattani Masala Sundal.
1. To press the tofu, take few paper towels and place the tofu over it. Place a plate on the tofu and keep something heavy over the plate. This will help remove some moisture from the tofu. Refer to Chilli Tofu.
2. I have used a combination of zucchini and yellow squash. Any vegetable can be used.
1. Press tofu to remove moisture. This is an important step. Refer to notes. Cut tofu into cubes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the tofu cubes.
3. Add soy sauce to the tofu. Keep turning the tofu around gently until it gets a nice crispy layer on all sides. This takes time .
4. Halfway through.
5. Tofu looks nice and crisp. Remove and keep aside.
6. To the same pan add the squash.
7. Add chilli flakes, salt and soy sauce.
8. Saute until the vegetables are cooked.
9. Add the tofu.
10. Stir to combine.
Tasty vegetable fry ready and we used it as a filling for hummus wrap.
5 Responses to Tofu and Squash Fry
Easy n healthy stir fry…looks inviting!!
Mobile view itself very nice n organized …will check from my laptop soon…
Love the super new outlook of your space. Very healthy and yummy stir fry
very nice and rare combo…inviting….
SYF&HWS – Cook with Spices
South Indian Cooking (SIC) Series
By the way, love the new look of your space..
Nice, simple and delicious.. Love it.