Another post that was in my drafts for more than 3 months. Rasam and thogayal or chutney has always been my favorite combination. I remember my grandma making this using the ammikal when I was growing up. There were no blenders or other modern appliances then and I sometimes wonder how she managed to do all the stuff by herself and here I am struggling with all the appliances around me . You can adjust the tamarind to suit your taste and this thogayal is a great way to finish up coriander leaves if you have a whole bunch of them left. Off to the recipe.
Coriander(Kothamalli) ThogayalPrint Recipe
By July 25, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1/2 cup
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
- Ready In: 20 mins
Condiment prepared by grinding coriander leaves with lentils and tamarind .
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 3 tsp urad dal (ulutham paruppu)
- pinch of asafoetida
- 2 dry red chillies (adjust to taste)
- 2 cups cilantro (coriander leaves - cleaned and washed)
- salt (to taste)
- tamarind (small lime size soaked in water for 10 minutes)
- Clean and wash coriander leaves and keep aside.
- Heat oil and add urad dal, dry red chillies and asafoetida. Turn off when the dal turns golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Take the roasted ingredients along with coriander leaves, salt and tamarind in a blender or food processor and puree using very little water.
Thogayal ready and we had it with rasam rice.