Plantain is known as vazhakkai in tamil and it was not on my favorite list when I was a kid. These days it has become a delicacy to see Indian vegetables and I try to recreate the dishes I once did not care for . On one of my conversations with my mom on what to make with the plantains lying around, she suggested this dish. I remember my mom making something similar with yam, but never thought about using plantain instead. It is a nice side dish to go with rice or even chapatis and is also easy to make. Off to the recipe.
Plantain PuttuPrint Recipe
By June 21, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
Plantains cooked, mashed and tempered with Indian spices
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (ulutham paruppu)
- 1.5 cups onion (chopped)
- 2 green chillies
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 plantains (cooked and mashed)
- pinch of turmeric
- salt (to taste)
- 1/2 - 1 cup water (as needed)
- Cook the plantains in a pressure cooker or a vessel on the stove top. Peel and coarsely mash.
- Heal oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal.
- When the dal turns golden brown, add chillies, onion and garlic. Saute until the onions are cooked.
- Add the mashed plantains, turmeric, salt and water.
- Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Plantains can also be cooked on the stove top instead of pressure cooker.
- Add more water if you want a gravy dish and less water if you like a dry dish.
Tasty plantain curry ready. We had it along with rice and kale poriyal.
Linking to Mireille’s Plantain event.