Starting blogging marathon in the new format with the theme “Evening Snacks” for kids. Deep fried stuff is most people’s favorite and kids are not exception. I make deep fried stuff occasionally and let the kids enjoy . I made these raw banana/vazhakkai chips a few months ago and the kids loved it. In fact, my son was asking whether I was making it for blog so he could make it later. The fact that he knows about blogging and also the way he expressed his love for the snack surprised me.
These days I show him the pictures I take just to hear his funny comments. I showed him another favorite dessert and his comment was “it is good if you make it again” . I was happy to be munching on the healthy oven baked ones and the kids enjoyed the deep fried ones. Off to the recipe.
Plantain ChipsPrint Recipe
By June 17, 2012Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
Raw banana / Vazhakkai slices deep fried in oil.
- 2 plantains (Raw banana/Vazhakkai sliced thinly)
- salt water (to soak the plantain slices)
- oil (to deep fry)
- chilly powder (as needed)
- Peel plantains and slice thinly.
- Place the sliced plantains in salt water.
- Heat oil and add the sliced plantains in batches. When the hissing sound stops and the slices start floating, it is done.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle some chilly powder and salt if needed.
- Alternatively, arrange the slices on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400F for 12 – 15 minutes.
Healthy plantain chips.
Mireille’s Plantain event.